Skip to main content

Japanese, luxury travel busses

I have always visited cities in Japan with the shinkansen, but I have seen signs of long distance buses around touristy areas before. For instance, when I was in Hakone, I saw a bus that could take me directly to Shinjuku. That is very impressive as it takes about an hour with a high-speed train. Because I easily get carsick, I never considered this option.

But recently, I discovered that the buses can have more comfort than I could ever imagine. Take for instance, the seats in the buses from Willer Express, they have fully reclining chairs (up to 142°!) with a cocoon like partition, special ladies-only seats with leg rests that have a built in foot massager and heating + a Sharp Plasma cluster air purifier on board, a hood attached to the top of the seat that gives you privacy, while you sleep, and a personal monitor for entertainment and games at the back of the seat in front of you. It has started to become comparable to an airplane without the discomfort that you might get from the air pressure in the cabin and the take off & landing. You do have to deal with carsickness and the possible toilet breaks (not all buses have a toilet in the bus), in which the bus stops and with many people leaving their seats, disturbing your sleep.

I haven't taken a bus to travel somewhere far, since I was on a school trip during high school - and that's a long time ago! -, but I heard that power sockets and wireless internet is common in most luxury travel buses and even trains now. But I think it is good to mention that most of luxury travel buses in Japan have them too. If you can get a good rate, find an over-night bus to your destination (saves you one hotel stay!), and/or don't mind sitting in a bus for a long time, it is quite a budget friendly way to travel.

Make sure to compare prices, as there are many bus companies and you might get a better deal out of it by buying a Japan Rail Pass or scoring a cheap plane ticket.

Popular posts from this blog

Eating at 7-Eleven Japan

Since I did an " Eating at 7-Eleven Hong Kong " for my Hong Kong travel blog, I thought I might as well do one for Japan. ^_^ Most of the times, as a tourist, you can get very tired from all the sightseeing and from trying to speak and understand the local language. Eating at 7-Eleven is then the easiest option. I don't encourage you to eat there every day, but a trip to 7-Eleven once in a while, can really make your life a lot more convenient. That is why they are called convenience stores. ^_^ During my last two stays in Japan, I had went there for an easy breakfast (an onigiri or a pastry) and I had also bought dinner (cold noodles) a couple of times. Food from 7-Eleven Japan that you must try - Pastry. The first thing that wanted to try the most was the melon scented butter bread (aka Melon pan). I had always seen it in manga and anime and it looked quite delicious. The top sugary coated part that is supposed to look like the exterior of a melon has a litt...

Cheap conveyor belt sushi in Japan: Kura sushi

Previously, I already introduced two conveyor belt sushi places to you, Genki Sushi and Uobei , and today, I discovered another one, Kura sushi . All plates of sushi (mostly there are two pieces of sushi on one plate and for some of the more expensive kinds, you get one piece) are just 100 yen. They have special high-tech plates, so you can just grab the plate through the hole in the front and the plastic, transparent, dome-shaped lid will open by itself. You can also order sushi through the touch screen (in English) and it will arrive in the high-speed track located above the regular conveyor belt. I am not sure if this is the case for all of the Kura sushi shops, but on tv, I saw that you can also play a game on the touch screen after you insert 5 empty plates in the slot located at your table. By winning it, you can get a small trinket/toy in a plastic ball. You can find the menu with clear pictures and prices  here . Warm dishes, such as bowls of rice, noodles, and udon wi...

What is there to do at Narita airport?

I had written a " Discover Narita airport " article before, but nowadays, there is a lot more to discover. Check out the following 4 tips to get the most out of your time on Narita airport. 1. What's new page of the Narita airport website On the What's new page of the Narita airport website, you can find the latest news about the airport. From there, I have found out that they regularly have "Introducing Japanese Culture" events. Some examples are: a koto (traditional Japanese musical instrument) concert making origami and kokeshi (handmade, wooden Japanese doll). Bonsai exhibition Samurai armor and Maiwai robe wearing Ukiyoe printing  They sound very interesting and whatever you make, you are allowed to take home as a souvenir.  2. TABIMORI app The TABIMORI app is the hospitality app from Narita airport. It provides you with all kinds of useful information, which can be handy during your trip in Japan. Some of the information can also be...